Wednesday, May 23, 2007

I Like Hot Pants Simply Because, What You See Is What You Get, Hit Me Now

Earlier today I was asked by a studio-mate if I wanted to play at a benefit on June 2nd at a place called LaRouge. Normally, I would balk at the words 'La Rouge' and 'Do you want to play' being used in the same sentence (for reasons that have no business being explained here), but this particular show is different. The benefit is for a guy who lives in town who used to play trumpet for James Brown in the sixties and seventies. I don't know his name, but ostensibly he is old, diabetic, blind, and in a wheelchair. The studio-mate, Thomas, asked if I could put together some musicians to play three songs, two of which he would sing on and then one which the band would play by itself. I told him that Paradigm could probably do it, but I made sure to call our old saxophone player first and see if he was into coming down from Indy to play. He was.

I guess I kind of feel like sort of a backstabber for not inviting Myron to play, but our old saxophonist is better suited to playing funk, and besides, Myron has been playing terribly as of late. That in itself is not anything new, but I'm beginning to think the situation is making itself worse. Instead of just rolling our eyes when he misses a cue or a head, we have now taken to glaring at him or doing the 'shake-head-while-making-eye-contact' thing. When we do that it seems to make him lose confidence even more, and by the end of the gig or rehearsal, he's looking at us like an abandoned puppy and won't do anything unless we shout at him start playing again. I cannot have this sort of thing happen in front of somebody who has worked with James Brown.

The rumor mill also has it that Maceo Parker is going to be at this benefit. Needless to say, I've been practicing a ton lately and listening to lots of James Brown. I also bought three or four Maceo Parker solo records, and I've been listening to them too. Interestingly enough, the first two solo records Maceo made in the early nineties feature Larry Goldings and Bill Stewart(both are heavy bop players), and both at the time were about 23 or 24. I never thought I'd ever see myself write this, especially seeing how I idolize both of them, but the playing is ok. Not great, but okay. When you listen, you think 'wow, tight band' but you do not think 'geniuses.'

4 comments:

Love by Lauren said...

I adopted Coco because she was 'abandoned'. Sometimes, you can't save all the puppies.

Does this mean there will be a clarinet opening? If so - I am so on it.

evboevbo said...

I'm not thinking about this like 'save the puppies' so much as I am thinking about it like 'get rid of the runt.' I guess kind of like how we ended up with Nipper.

Besides, it's just for one gig. No one's really getting replaced.

Love by Lauren said...

HA HA - yes that IS how we ended up with Nipper, so then what are you saying????

evboevbo said...

Actually I'm not really sure anymore.